(Please bear in mind this is an outline, a rough draft. Each family has their own individual reality. Use this as a blueprint for achieving economic freedom. You will have to implement the strategies and solutions that work best for your family to achieve this goal.)
Are you married? Good. Are you a two-income family? Great! Use one of your incomes to subsist/pay bills. Save every single penny of the other income. EVERY PENNY! Eliminate everything that is not an absolute necessity. Keep your eye on the prize. Make sacrifices for your family’s freedom. In one year, you can purchase your land (if not sooner).
Most houses in America sit on a quarter-acre of land, or less. Depending on the location, land in America can cost anywhere from $200 an acre to $2,000,000 an acre. Do the research, start on-line, contact realtors, drive around the country, ask your friends and family to keep an eye out for a nice parcel or acreage. There are literally millions of acres of land for sale all over this nation.
TIPS: If you have to downsize your current living situation or move in with a relative for one year to make this a reality, do it. Sign a contract on how long you’ll stay and what you will contribute to their household. Be fair; fair exchange is not robbery. If you have to take public transportation for a year, do it. If you have to wear last season’s fashion and stay out of the malls, do it. If you have to forgo dining out for a year, cancel magazine subscriptions, eliminate summer vacations, ignore holidays, cancel digital cable, drink water, eradicate snacks, stay out of movie theaters, wash and style your own hair, toss the cell phones…JUST DO IT! Save your money for ONE year and you WILL be able to pay cash for your land. Save your money for another year and you WILL be able to build a paid for house.
Now, once you purchase your land, you have two options. You can move onto the land immediately. Purchase an inexpensive, used trailer to live in for a year and have no rent/mortgage payments instantly. Now you can use nearly all of both your incomes to build your home. Your home will be completed in under a year. Or, you can remain where you’re living right now, continuing to pay the bills with one of your incomes. Use the other income to build your home. Your home will be complete in one year.
I’ll explain the science of building later. it is EXTREMELY inexpensive. Just know that it doesn’t take a fraction of what you think it does to build a fine, quality, comfortable home…with absolutely no financing required.
Two years later…you have no rent/mortgage payment, no water bill, and if you use alternative energy sources when you build, no power bill either. If you both choose to keep working another year, be sure to purchase safe, reliable transportation (paid in full), then appliances/furniture, a lawn mower or tractor…things to make your living comfortable.
You were probably expecting more, but it really is that easy to be debt free (even no car payment) in just a few short years. The greatest obstacle is preparing your mind for the possibility and the brief struggle of sticking to your game plan to make it a reality. You can begin today and accomplish this with the incomes you make right now.
YOUR NEW REALITY:
Why are you both going to your jobs everyday? You don’t have a house payment, you don’t pay rent, you don’t have a car payment, you don’t even have a power bill or a water bill (you’ll be using well water, by the way–clean and pure).
- One of you can stay home now. Start that business, write that book, pull you children out of failing public schools and actually teach them something. Remember Malcolm X said, “Only a fool would let his enemy educate his children.”
- If you only purchase an acre, you’ll have plenty of land to plant a garden. This ensures your ability to feed your family fresh, chemical free vegetables, and also eliminates high grocery expenses.
- Meanwhile, the income from the family member still on the plantation, needs to be used for absolute necessities and the remainder must be saved. Save Every available penny for emergencies, taxes, insurance, and the small things you’ll need cash on hand to cover.
- You are now no longer motivated by money. You have the freedom to pursue your education, obtaining knowledge for the sole purpose of benefiting your community and humanity. We need engineers, scientists, nurses, hvac specialists, carpenters, teachers, mechanics, doctors, artists, mechanics, horticulturists, electricians, textile manufacturers, writers, plumbers, welders, veterinarians, munitions specialists, fishermen, seamstresses, communication specialists, musicians, masons… Soak up the knowledge like a sponge and bring it back home.
- Your bills are now annual property taxes, light shopping for clothes, toiletries, paper products, cleaning supplies. Your groceries are now salt, pepper, butter, eggs, milk pasta, bread and meat (if you eat it). Or be radical as shit and make soap, bread and pasta. Sew your own clothes. Get a cow for milk and chickens for eggs.
- You’ll have a lot of time on your hands now. Make furniture, jewelry, bean pies, newspapers, children’s toys, bridal gowns, fishing nets, canned vegetables, bicycles…whatever…do you. Write books, breed dogs, build engines, fireplaces or dollhouses, open a daycare or senior center, raise goats, make a movie…the sky is the limit when your whole life isn’t being traded for rent money and car payments.
You even have the option of working full or part time, if you like. But now you’ll be able to invest in your family, your dreams and your future.
THE PLAN: begin saving ASAP, find your land, purchase your land and begin building. It really is that simple. Please fee free to contact me anytime for any particular questions you might have regarding your unique situation. Following issues of Black Girl Green World will discuss how to find good land; how to build a home from footing to rooftop; how to dig and maintain a well; how to plant a garden, and so on. Right now, you just concentrate on eliminating waste and SAVING your money. Be unwavering. Take the first step, and you’ll be amazed at how the rest just falls into place.
Buying land and building a home is the easy part. The difficult task is wrapping your understanding around the idea, and changing everything in your life to make it a reality. Two to three years people; less than 36 months…to finally be able to live life on your terms; and to finally obtain true economic FREEDOM!
Related Article: LAND! THE KEY TO YOUR ECONOMIC FREEDOM